HOME

ST MARY
ST PAUL
ST BART'S

Main

Worship
and Music

Our
Charities

PEOPLE

Bells &
Bell-ringing

Links to
External Sites

Getting married
at our churches

Articles

The Church
Baptism

Common
Worship

Holy
Communion

St Bartholomew's Church 
East Ogwell,
SX838700

History

In the late 18th century Archdeacon Polwhele described his approach to East Ogwell village in these words, "When we reached the top of the hill that commands a view of Ogwell village, we were struck by a number of agreeable objects - the church lying in the bottom amidst various scattered houses, the tuftings of the hedges, the plough and meadow land between, the little green hills where Ingsdon rises, the dark spots of the woods that add richness to fertility and the gentle undulation of the remoter hills that bound the horizon."

West Ogwell parish church is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Pevsner considered the church to be of exceptional interest in that it is an unaltered building of around 1300 with Georgian fittings. It ceased to be used for regular worship in 1981.

 

The present church building dates back to the mid 15th century. It consists of a nave with rood screen between the chancel, a tower with six bells, north aisle with Lady Chapel and a south transcept (the Reynell Chapel). The church was restored in 1886. In the Lady chapel are stone slabs which covered the graves of two Abbots of Torre Abbey: William Norton 14th Abbot and Richard Cade 18th Abbot who died in May 1400.

In front of the Chancel step is the burial slab of yet another Abbot of Torre Thomas Dyare the last Abbot who died in 1522. It seems likely that these slabs were sold after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539. Outside the church there are two halves of an early carved Christian burial stone built into the gables at the east and west end of the north aisle. The inscription is in Latin and reads "CAOCI FILI POPLICI (Caocus Son of Peblig) presumably a local chieftain who was given a Christian burial sometime around the year 500 AD.


How to find us:

We are located in the centre of East Ogwell. The postcode may not be precise for where the church is but by the time you get there you will see the tall tower of Ogwell Church.

From Newton Abbot follow signs towards Totnes A381. About one mile outside the town centre is the Ogwell Roundabout take the third exit signed Ogwell and follow the road for about one mile; as the road comes over the hill brow fork right and follow the road down through the Green into the village.

Postcode: TQ12 6AW


New Tenor Bell

The new Tenor Bell has been hung at St Bart's and the bells were rung again last Autumn 2014...

Ogwell Choir

Ogwell Village Choir was started by Judy Reeves former organist at St Bartholomew's.

We expect to see the choir here from time to time.

Services at St Bart's
Sundays
1, 3, 5
Holy
Communion
Sun
2 & 4
Morning
Prayer
ALL at 10.30am

 

 

Churchyard

There are up-to-date records of the monuments in the churchyard which it is not possible to show this on this website.
But this is available as a Microsoft Excel file on request.

September 2015

Home | St Mary | St Paul | St Bart's | Main | Music & Worship | Getting Married | Our People | Our Charities | Money | Bell-ringing
 | Links | The Church | Baptism | Common Worship | Holy Communion