HOME

ST MARY
ST PAUL
ST BART'S

MAIN
PAGE

Christian
Viewpoint
on Money
and debt

Worship
and Music

Bell-ringing

Charities

PEOPLE

Articles

The Church
Baptism
Common
Worship

Holy
Communion

Grapevine
Articles

Links to
External Sites

St Mary the Virgin

Parish of Wolborough,
Newton Abbot, Devon
TQ12 1EH, SX857704

Services at St Mary's

Sun
1

Holy Communion (BCP)
Morning Worship (BCP)

8.00am
11.00am

Sun
2-5
Holy Communion (sung)

9.15am

Church open - tours, teas and organ music...

Wednesdays 2.00-4.30pm
throughout July & August

 


The Church from the front

View from the NE

View from the ringing chamber

Screen, Lectern and old Bell

Rood screen

The Altar
 
Continuing on Wednesday afternoons, St Mary's is open for visitors from 2.00pm -4.30pm July & August
There is a huge amount to see in this beautiful church with guided tours and to top it all excellent light refreshments!

BONUS DAY - St Mary's will be opening from 11am-4pm on Saturday 12 September (times to be confirmed)

 
The new gates at St Mary's - August 2014

Pulpit (20th Century)

The organ

Stained glass window

The Font

The Reynell Memorial

Cross in the graveyard

A Short History

A Church has stood on the site of St Mary the Virgin Wolborough for about 1,000 years; mention is made of a church building in the Domesday Book in 1080.The church originally served the village of Uleborough situated somewhere southwest of the church but the village has long since disappeared.

The parish of Wolborough now consists of southern and western Newton Abbot which was formed as a market town by Royal Charter in 1269. The Church is a grade 1 listed building in a perpendicular style with tall pillars having differently carved capitals, a barrel roof was added in the early 20th century. The churchyard which extends to some 4 acres is now full and was closed for burials in 1984.

The present Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wolborough dates from the 14th century with additional work in the 15th & 16th centuries. The font is Norman with cable and chevron carving and is thought to have come from an earlier church on this site. There is also an interesting late 15th century lectern, one of about fifty known to exist in this country, which is said to have been hidden in Bradley Woods during the Civil War. 

The tower houses a fine peal of eight bells cast by Taylors of Loughborough in 1926. There is also a medieval bell dating from the early 14th century cast by John Bird of London (one of the original ring of five) now floor mounted near the rood screen in church.

Some images from our much acclaimed 2013 flower festival

Home | St Mary | St Paul | St Bart's | Main | Music & Worship | Getting Married | Our People | Our Charities | Money
Bell-ringing
| Links | The Church | Baptism | Common Worship | Holy Communion

 

There are up-to-date records of the monuments in the churchyard which it is not possible to show this on this website. But this is available as a Microsoft Excel file on request.

How to find us:

The church is on Coach Road on high ground overlooking Newton Abbot. It is best approached from the A381 Totnes Road about one mile outside the town centre, turning east (towards the cemetery) at the roundabout. Carry on for about half a mile and the church can be seen on the left.

The map illustrates where we are; please note that College Road does not go through to the church except on foot!

Postcode: TQ12 1EH

 

Parishes of Wolborough & Ogwell, Newton Abbot, Devon
July 2015